Sunday, February 25, 2018 Mercury trine Poseidon 3:35AM EST and parallel Zeus 6:01AM EST, Venus square Mars 7:01AM EST, Mercury sextile Pallas 7:22AM EST and conjunct Neptune 7:25AM EST, Neptune sextile Pallas 7:35AM EST, Venus square Vesta 8AM EST, Mars conjunct Vesta 11:13AM EST, Sun sextile Saturn 12:45PM EST, Mercury parallel Neptune 6:53PM EST
Monday, February 26, 2018 Venus quincunx Zeus 11:45AM EST
Tuesday February 27, 2018 Venus sextile Pluto 5:20AM EST, Mars parallel Cupido 11:52AM EST and sextile Zeus 6:47PM EST, Uranus sextile Astraea 10:30PM EST
Wednesday, February 28, 2018 Mercury square Vesta 8:04AM EST, Sun trine Kronos 10:04AM EST, Mercury quincunx Zeus 11:15AM EST, Sun parallel Zeus 6:55PM EST, Mercury square Mars 6:56PM EST and sextile Pluto 11:42PM EST
Thursday, March 1, 2018 Venus trine Jupiter 6:22AM EST, Sun parallel Juno 3:58PM EST, Full Moon 7:51PM at 11°Vi22′ tropical Mercury parallel Venus 9:58PM EST
Friday March 2, 2018 Sun parallel Neptune 2:28AM EST, Saturn contra-parallel Hades 7:41AM EST, Mercury trine Jupiter 8:04AM EST, Uranus contra-parallel Hygeia 2:29PM EST
Saturday, March 3, 2018 Neptune parallel Juno 1:02AM EST, Sun sextile Black Moon 3:36AM EST, Mercury parallel Eris 12:04PM EST and contra-parallel Chiron 2:41PM EST, Sun trine Poseidon 6:38PM EST
Sunday March 4, 2018 Sun conjunct Neptune 8:53AM EST, Mercury conjunct Venus 1:04PM EST and conjunct Chiron 4:24PM EST, Venus parallel Eris 5:06PM EST, conjunct Chiron 5:59PM and contra-parallel Chiron 8:09PM EST
The History of Salt Lake City
SLC was founded on July 24, 1847, by a group of Mormon pioneers — members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They were led Brigham Young, and the first non-Indians to settle permanently in the Salt Lake Valley. The founding group numbered 148, comprising 143 men, three women, and two children.
Salt lake City is the capital city of Utah and the county-seat of Salt Lake county, in the N.W. part of Utah, immediately E. of the Jordan river in the Salt Lake Valley, near the base of the Wasatch mountains, at an altitude of about 4,350 ft. It is 710 m. W. by N. of Denver and about 930 m. E. of San Francisco.
The Pop. (1860) 8236; (1900) S3,53i; (1910 census) 92,777. Area: 51-25 sq. m.. Today the population is about 195K.
The situation of the city is striking, with views of mountains and of the Great Salt Lake, and the climate is dry and salubrious. The city is the headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints . The streets are laid out, according to the plan of Brigham Young, with city blocks of 10 acres each (660 ft. sq.) and streets 132 ft. wide. The streets are well shaded with trees planted along irrigating ditches, fed by mountain streams.
Brigham (or South Temple) Street is boulevard running 3 m. from the Temple to Fort Douglas. Most of the streets are numbered and named ” East ” or ” West,” ” North ” or ” South,” based on their direction from the centre of the city, the Temple Block.
State Street is the official name of First East Street ; and East Temple Street is called Main, and South Temple Street (east of the Temple block) is called Brigham. The only developed parks are Pioneer and City Hall, both small, and Liberty Park where Brigham Young built a grist mill in 1852 and was bought from his estate by the city in 1880.
Three miles E. of the city is Fort Douglas, established as Camp Douglas in 1862 by Colonel P. Edward Connor (1820-1891), afterwards prominently connected with the development of the mineral resources of Utah; the fort overlooks the city, being over 4900 ft. above sea-level.
In the city there are medicinal and thermal springs, and water at a temperature of 98.104 F. is piped to a large bath-house (1850) in the N. part of the city. The most prominent buildings are those of the Church of Latter-Day Saints, in Temple Square, the Temple, Tabernacle, and Assembly Hall.
The great Mormon Temple (1853-1893) has grey granite walls 6 ft. thick, is 99 X 186 ft., and has six spires, the highest (220 ft.) having a copper statue of the angel Moroni. The elliptical Tabernacle (1870) has a rounded, turtle-shell shaped roof, unsupported by pillars or beams, seats nearly 10,000, and has a large pipe organ (5000 pipes).
The Assembly Hall (1880), also of granite, has an auditorium which seats about 2500. In 1909 a bishopric building, with many of the business offices of the church, was built. Other buildings are three residences of Brigham Young, called the Lion House, the Beehive (the beehive is the symbol of the industry of the Mormon settlers in the desert and appears on the state seal), and Amelia Palace or Gardo House (1877). The latter is now privately owned.
Three blocks E. of the Temple is St Mary’s, the Roman Catholic cathedral (1909, 100-200 ft.; with two towers 175 ft. high). Other large churches are: St Mark’s Cathedral (1869, Protestant Episcopal) and the First Presbyterian Church (1909).
There is a large city and county building (1894), built of rough grey sandstone from Utah county; it has a dome on the top of which is a statue of Columbia; over its entrances are statues of Commerce, Liberty and -Justice; its balconies command views of the neighbouring country and of the Great Salt Lake itself; the interior is decorated with Utah onyx.
Other buildings are: the Federal building; the Packard Library, the public library of the city (1905), one block E. of Temple Block, which housed in 1910 about 40,000 volumes; and several business buildings. Typical of the city is the great building of the Zion’s Co-operative Mercantile Institution, a concern established by Brigham Young in 1868 there are several large factories connected with it, and its annual sales average more than $5,000,000 in 1911 dollars.
A monument to Brigham Young and the Utah Pioneers, crowned by a statue of Brigham Young, by C. E. Dallin, was unveiled in 1897, at the intersection of Main and Brigham Streets. The city has many hospitals and charities, and there is a state penitentiary here.
Electricity is largely used in the newer factories, the power being derived from Ogden river, near Ogden, about 35 m. away, and from cataracts in Cottonwood canyon and other canyons.
The history of the city is largely that of the Mormons (q.v.) and in its earlier years that of Utah (q.v.). The Mormons first came here in 1847; an advance party led by Orson Pratt and Erastus Snow entered the Salt Lake Valley on the 22nd of July. President Brigham Young upon his arrival on the 24th approved of the site, saying that he had seen it before in a vision; on the 28th of July he chose the site for the temple.
In August the city was named ” the City of the Great Salt Lake,” and they used this name until 1868 when the adjective was dropped by legislative act. In the autumn the major body of the pioneers arrived. The first government was purely ecclesiastical, the city being a ” stake of Zion ” under a president; ” Father ” Joseph Smith was the first president.
The gold excitement of 1849 and the following years was the source of the city’s first prosperity: the Mormons did not do any mining as Brigham Young counselled them not to abandon agriculture for prospecting but they made themselves rich by outfitting those of the gold-seekers who went to California overland and who stopped at the City of the Great Salt Lake, the westernmost settlement of any importance.
On the 4th of March 1849 a convention met here which appointed a committee to draft a constitution; they immediately adopted the constitution, the independent state of Deseret was organized and on the 12th of March they held the first general election.
In 1850 the city had a population of 6000, more than half the total number of inhabitants of the Great Salt Lake Valley, which, and the rest of Utah, was largely settled from Salt Lake City. In January 1851 the general assembly of the state of Deseret chartered the city; and they held the first municipal election in April of the same year; ammending the charter in 1865.
Immigration from Europe and especially from England were large in the earlier years of the city, beginning in 1848. Salt Lake City was prominently identified with the Mormon church in its struggle with the United States government; in 1858 they entirely deserted it upon the approach of the United States troops.
Since the Civil War, the non-Mormon element (locally called ” Gentile “) has steadily increased in strength, partly because of industrial changes and partly because the city is the natural point of attack on the Mormon church of other denominations, which are comparatively stronger here than elsewhere in Utah.
———adapted from 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica.